During your camping holidays, let yourself be seduced by the authenticity and conviviality that reign in Sainte-Marie-de-Ré, a small agricultural village and green resort set between the vineyards and the ocean on the south coast of the Ile de Ré. Over time, Sainte-Marie-de-Ré has managed to preserve its rural, historical and cultural character. You will discover a variety of landscapes, from the wild coast to the expanses of vineyards and the carefully maintained fish locks of the foreshore. Here, everything resembles a postcard setting to the delight of lovers of the Ile de Ré.
A SHORT VISIT TO THE VILLAGE OF SAINTE-MARIE-DE-RÉ
Walking in the centre of Sainte-Marie-de-Ré means…
- Discover the gentle way of life that so characterises the Ile de Ré, far from the summer crowds that buzz around the other villages of the island.
- Allow yourself a privileged moment in a country village with an authentic character, with its old houses nestled in the maze of small alleyways leading to the quéreux, these dead-end plots decorated with hollyhocks.
- Settle down around the Place d’Antioche or the Place des Tilleuls before setting off again to discover the small hidden corners that the large dry-stone walls draw…
At the top of the bell tower of the church of Sainte-Marie, recognizable by its Gothic spire, one can admire a breathtaking view of the whole village, the large agricultural areas and the fish locks of the coast.
SAINTE-MARIE-DE-RÉ AND THE RETAIS VINEYARD
If you move away from the historic centre of Sainte-Marie-de-Ré, you will realise that vines are omnipresent! The village retains a wine-growing tradition dating back six centuries, as evidenced by the 650 hectares or so of vines cultivated all year round that produce white, red and rosé wines. From then on, your camping holiday on the Ile de Ré takes on an unexpected twist and you set off to discover the wine heritage of Ré by following the road leading from Sainte-Marie-de-Ré to the Bois-plage. You will meet the winegrowers who will be delighted to show you around their ageing cellars before taking part in a wine tasting session. A green parenthesis as pleasant as it is exciting!
UNIQUE ON THE ILE DE RÉ: THE FISH LOCKS OF SAINTE-MARIE-DE-RÉ
During your stay at the campsite, Saint-Marie-de-Ré will reveal a whole section of the historical heritage of Charente-Maritime: the fish locks! Up until 100 years ago, the Ile de Ré was home to a hundred or so of these horseshoe-shaped dry-stone constructions.
Today, it is in Sainte-Marie that there are the most of them, no less than a dozen. They all have evocative, sometimes poetic and often funny names such as “La jalousie”, “La Chiouse” or even “Le Creux du cul”… All year round, the owners and the associations for the protection of the coast mobilise to restore these coastal works which are essential to protect the coasts from erosion and to preserve the fauna and flora of the foreshore.
THE CAMPSITE'S FAVOURITES
- Treat yourself to a thalasso day dedicated to well-being in Sainte-Marie-de-Ré with massages, massages, hydro-marine spa and heated seawater pool!
- Discover the ANCRE Maritaise, which offers guided tours, workshops, conferences, shows and exhibitions devoted to the biodiversity of the Ile de Ré and the preservation of the fish locks.
- Explore the neighbouring village of La Noue in a fun and original way with your smartphone as you wander through the village in search of flashcodes. A unique concept on the Ile de Ré!
- Surf the spot of Les Grenettes located in the hamlet of la Noue, which is very popular because of its accessibility, the frequency and quality of the waves.
HEAD TO ARS-EN-RÉ, JUST A SHORT HOP FROM THE CAMPSITE...