Camping La Grainetière
In the heart of the Ile de Ré, Saint-Martin-de-Ré is a magnificent fortified city with its fishing and yachting port, its flowered alleyways and its old houses with unusual facades, not forgetting its Vauban citadel which is on the UNESCO World Heritage List… Saint-Martin-de-Ré, the former historic capital of the island, is an essential stopover for your camping holiday and an opportunity to share real moments of pleasure, relaxation and discovery!
ADMIRE ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VIEWS OF THE ILE DE RÉ FROM THE SAINT-MARTIN CHURCH!
On the heights of Saint-Martin-de-Ré, don’t hesitate for a second to visit the Saint-Martin church (14th – 18th century) nicknamed “le Grand Fort” because of its fortified appearance. You can discover the Gothic ruins, including the old transept with its gables, the monumental clock and the bells in action. From the top of the Observatory Bell Tower with its protected terrace, you can admire a grandiose panorama of the fortifications of Saint-Martin-de-Ré and the Ile de Ré, the port and the ocean.
VISIT THE CITADEL OF SAINT-MARTIN-DE-RÉ, AN ARCHITECTURAL MASTERPIECE LISTED AS A UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE
A fine example of 17th-century military architecture and the know-how of Vauban’s engineers, the fortifications of Saint-Martin-de-Ré are a remarkably well-preserved site, which is why it has been included on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 2008. A guided tour will take you through the citadel’s ramparts flanked by orillon bastions, counterscarps and half-moons. This is an ideal outing idea for children, who can imagine themselves knights during their camping holidays on the Ile de Ré! In summer, don’t miss the Nocturnes de Saint-Martin when the fortifications are lit by torchlight. A magical atmosphere that will leave you with unforgettable memories!
THE CAMPSITE'S FAVOURITES
- Take the time to stroll through the narrow streets and alleys steeped in history of the town centre and discover the half-timbered house of La Vinatière (16th century) and the Renaissance-style Hôtel de Clerjotte, two jewels of the historical heritage of the Ile de Ré!
- Enjoy an ice cream at La Martinière on the port of Saint-Martin-de-Ré, one of the 5 best ice cream parlours in France according to the gastronomic guide “Gault et Millau”!
- Visit the Ernest Cognacq museum which reveals all the secrets of the fortifications of Saint-Martin-de-Ré and the history of the town through rich archaeological, ethnographic and natural history collections, fine arts, traditional and popular arts.
- Discover Saint-Martin-de-Ré by night by strolling along the quays in the summer on the night market or by visiting the church of Saint-Martin-de-Ré, open until 11pm in July and August!
- Attend the painters’ rendezvous which takes place every Tuesday and Friday, between mid-June and mid-September, on the church square of Saint-Martin.
- Experience the Jazz en Ré festival on the port in August. On the programme: three unforgettable musical evenings to the delight of music-loving campers!
- ake a sea walk and a tour of Fort Boyard with a stopover on the island of Aix or La Rochelle from the port of Saint-Martin-de-Ré!
DISCOVER LA COUARDE-SUR-MER NEAR THE CAMPSITE....